Wednesday, December 17, 2008

Freefall


When I first started writing, I focused on children's magazines, and I'd come across Anna Levine's work in the magazines I enjoyed -- Highlights, Cricket group, etc. So when I came across a book of hers in the library, I immediately checked it out. Running on Eggs was her first book -- a story about the friendship between a Jewish and Arab girl, and the choices they must make.

Fast forward a few years. I was serving as a judge for the SCBWI Magazine Merit Awards and Anna had a touching story about a young girl whose mother battles cancer in "The Wednesday Club" (Cicada, Jan. 2006). She took second place for fiction that year. But she walked away with the grand prize for poetry. "Saxophone Summer" sizzled with the syncopated rhythm of red hot jazz, also published in Cicada (June 2006).

When I contacted her for an article I was writing about judging the awards, I had to know whether she had other books incubating. And she let me know about Freefall. I've been eagerly awaiting it's arrival and what a pleasure it was to stay up late and read it in peace.

As always, you can trust Anna to tell a good story. Here we discover what it's like to serve in the Israeli military. It's not a matter of choice -- it's compulsory. Does Aggie have what it takes to become a combat soldier? Find out in this fast-paced book. A rich cast of characters test their love and loyalty.

Mazel tov, Anna! You've done it again.
If you want to know more about what it's like to be eighteen and serve, check out Anna's blog.


2 comments:

Bish Denham said...

Oooo, LOVE that poem! And now I have MORE books to add to my list of must reads.

Oh and by the way Vijaya, I've nominated you for the Scrap Award!

Vijaya said...

I'm so glad Anna has a link to her poem ... you'll enjoy her books.

And thanks, Bish. I hope I can come up with ten honest AND interesting scraps ...