Monday, April 19, 2010

Writing Vision

I never did get to hear Mitali Perkins at her keynote because I was at church. Many people told me how very inspiring she was and I was truly sorry to have missed her talk. I popped over to her blog to see if she'd posted some tidbits and did she ever! She spoke about having a vision for your future ... oh, go read it yourselves.

It reminded me very much of St. Francis of Assisi's prayer of peace.

So, I thought very quickly about why I write and the answer was there all along from the very beginning: to give a voice to the voiceless.

The novels that I write and will publish in the future are all about people who are forgotten, or on the margins of society. Children are especially vulnerable. They are often unseen and unheard, their needs unmet.

I also like to write about science, because if bugs and leaves and rocks could talk, they would tell amazing stories. And since they don't, I like to bring attention to them.

What is your writing vision?

*

4 comments:

Bish Denham said...

A vision statement. I like that. Your statement is so concise and poignant...all I can think of is: To tell a story. Not very profound.

Marcia said...

Oh Vijaya! I'm working on my vision statement right now! Hope to revisit this post later and add something coherent. Also plan to go to Mitali Perkins's link, but had best discipline myself now and go teach some lessons. :)

Write2ignite said...

I like that question, Vijaya. I don't have an answer yet, but I will. Thank you for the challenge!

Vijaya said...

Thanks Bish -- we are creatures who need stories. I think we are made for it. So to tell a good story is brilliant.

Marcia and Donna -- do come back later after you've thought about it some. I think it's very important to keep the *why* front and center because I'm sure there are days we all want to quit.