Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Don't be Buffaloed

My student's story, Cowgirl Morning, not only debuted in Cricket, it made the cover! Isn't it stunning? I must get a copy of it this weekend. Luckily, my local Borders carries the magazine. So after my daughter's soccer game, we shall make a stop. By the way, their team is doing awesome in the playoffs! Go Colorblind Purple Pumas! (Long story).
*
Congratulations to Bryn Fleming!
*
Teaching is such a joy for me. And not just because of successes like these. Every student has a deep desire to share stories and these are stories that only they can write. They are self-selected population who come through ICL -- from grandmothers to high school students. Some have a great deal of experience, others not so. But the journey they begin here, the tools they learn, will last them for their writing life. It's lovely to take a part in making dreams come true.
*

10 comments:

anna said...

what a dreamy cover....

Bish Denham said...

Stunning cover! Congratulations Vijaya to your student AND to you!

laurasalas said...

Congratulations to you and Bryn--you must both be SO excited!

Melissa Gill said...

Awesome cover. I can't wait to read the story. Congrats to Bryn, she must have an amazing teacher.

Vijaya said...

Thank you so much. Bryn worked hard on this story and I loved her determination when the editor's notes came in. I can't wait to read it with the illustrations ...

Jane Heitman Healy said...

So exciting!! Congrats!!

Marcia said...

Yes, don't you love it when your students publish? Congrats to you both! Seeing the illustrations for your story is such a thrill, and making the cover is just extra-special.

Vijaya said...

Jane and Marcia, thank you. Yes, the illustrations bring it to life. I especially love it when they bring a whole new dimension to it. Because I write for very young children, the illustrator almost always brings something new to the story that makes it so much more fun and richer. Some day I hope to have picture books! I have one out on sub. Fingers crossed.

Mary Witzl said...

Oh, congratulations to your student and to you! It is so satisfying to see someone deserving get published, but all the more so when it is someone you've coached.

My girls used to love Ladybug, Cricket and Spider -- we took them all. Such lovely memories.

Vijaya said...

Mary, exactly! There are wonderful writers who don't get published and to see one break that barrier is just darned pleasing.