Thursday, December 2, 2010

Seize the Day!

Molly offers the Golden Coffee Cup as an alternative to NanoWriMo every November. It's packed full of inspiration. We post our Nov. goals (not necessarily 50K words) and share what we accomplished or not at the end of the month. I'm a proud winner this year of Jesse's logo despite severe setbacks. The Blaisdells are a talented bunch ... I seem to remember seeing some line art from Jesse as well.

But today -- today was a glorious day for another reason as well. I woke up without a migraine. Oh, a teensy one gnawed at the side of my head but I ignored it. There were no hammers hammering away. No tears. No anguish. No thoughts about how to get through the day. I brushed my teeth as the kittens came to play with the water. I got the kids ready for school and even engaged in conversation without asking them to be quiet. I walked to school and coming home, sang praises to God. Everything, from the brown soggy leaves to the bare branches, looked beautiful to me.

A small doubt crept into my head. How many hours will I have? But I banished it right away. Seize the day! And I have. I have tackled long-forgotten tasks related to school and home. I've written a bit. I'm writing this post. I have lessons to finish correcting. The sun is shining. I have a a page or two of my novel to revise. I can do anything ...

I have been given gifts from friends, the gifts of time and company. I need to write them back, thanking them.

It's been a long time -- weeks, months? -- since I've not had a hammer, a chisel and an anvil in my head. I pray this is a turning point.
*

10 comments:

Marcia said...

Oh Vijaya, I can't imagine "a hammer, a chisel and an anvil" all the time. I second your prayers for a turning point.

Molly/Cece said...

Oh, hugs, Vijaya. I'm praying for you and will continue to do so. I'm glad you had some relief. I wish I could drive you to SCBWI meetings.

It's the best thing to enjoy now, regardless of what will happen tomorrow.

Vijaya said...

Marcia and Molly, I do so appreciate your prayers. One thing that chronic pain has taught me is to take joy in every little thing ... I already had that personality, but it has intensified it.

Oh, the Redmond carpool has been resurrected and I am going to see Peggy (she's speaking) and the gang in Dec. For the first time in months, I am making plans.

MG Higgins said...

How beautiful that you're able to see the positive and take joy in little things. My thoughts go out to you.

Melissa Gill said...

Oh wow. I feel so bad for you having daily migraines. My mom gets them from time to time, but nothing like what you're describing.

I'm so glad you had pain free day.

I assume you've tried all the phamaceutical therapies. (I say as I sit here at my job in a pharmacy. There seem to be some miracle drugs out there.)

I will keep you in my prayers.

Vijaya said...

To both Melissas: thank you for your good thoughts and prayers. And yes, we're trying different meds. No luck yet. Or I should say, I see some good effects at the beginning and then pffft.

A.L. Sonnichsen said...

Hooray! Wonderful news!! I hope this good-streak lasts and lasts for you. Good for you, seizing the day.

I'll keep praying, too. :)

Amy

Vijaya said...

Oh, please do Amy because I'm not out of hot water yet ... but those occasional reprieves are truly heaven-sent.

Mary Witzl said...

What Marcia said -- I wonder how you can cope so well with this. Years ago I had a friend who suffered from terrible migraines. I seem to remember that her kids ran wild while she lay in a dark room because she was a single mother and there really was no alternative. Relief after terrible pain is one of the sweetest things in the world -- I wish you loads more and an end to the pain.

Vijaya said...

Mary, some days I don't cope and the kids do run amok and I wonder if this is purgatory. Oh, I feel so sorry for your friend. I am fortunate in that my husband comes home at a decent time and doesn't travel much. He's also very helpful and kind, a truly chivalrous Knight. Thank you so much for your good wishes. I've had another semi-good day :)