Thursday, January 31, 2013

Don't Give Up

So, a big storm blew through yesterday ... from the south because it was warm. An alligator (five-footer) was basking, looking awfully hungry. I wish I'd taken my camera along but I've gotten out of the habit. I usually pray the rosary on my walks. A couple of little dogs came running out of the apartment building, and I'm glad the owners leashed them promptly. These gators can move fast, even when they lay quiet as statues. They don't even register on my dog's radar ...

I finished my Highlights story and put it in the mailbox. Last year, I was deep in revisions (YA contemp.), and did not enter the annual fiction contest. This year, I cut it close. I was so discouraged yesterday as I kept reworking the ending -- flat, flat, flat. But inspiration hit during a basketball game and I knew just how to fix it. So writers, if you are close, don't give up. Think outside the box. Let your imagination take you places. Be preposterous! What I struggle with most is making the ending both inevitable and surprising. I hope I nailed it.

And just so you know, if you put your manuscript in the mailbox, it will be postmarked today, which is acceptable as per the guidelines.

I have a couple of other shorts to work on, but they will go as regular submissions. My procrastination level is quite high right now because I recognize the mountain of work  my historical YA requires to get it submission-worthy. What I need is a real deadline, some discipline, some courage ...

Or perhaps Kristi's FREE e-book! She's giving it away tomorrow ... so be sure to check it out.

Have a great weekend, y'all. Enjoy the weather, whatever it may be. Can you believe how quickly this month has gone by? If you have not started on the writing life you dream of, it is not too late. Begin ... breathe, pray, write!

*



4 comments:

Faith E. Hough said...

I needed this bit of encouragement. I'm entering a contest for New England writers with a deadline of February 1--and I still have to polish a synopsis and a bio on top of my ten pages. And it's beautiful outside just to distract me! :) I think I'll enjoy the weather and then cram tonight. The sunny skies make me optimistic!

Marcia said...

Oh, my friend, I am SO provincial. I can't imagine stepping outside and encountering a 5-foot alligator. Or any length. :)

Mirka Breen said...

Nothing like having a bang-up ending to float over from nowhere to make your spirit soar. I recall having had this completely surreal feeling when this happened unexpectedly. You made it!

Vijaya said...

Faith, I hope you met your deadline and are enjoying the sweet little things of life. Good luck! I have a hard time writing outside anymore -- I find that I end up watching the squirrels and birds. Even in my office, sometimes I have to close the blinds so that I can focus on the writing ...

Marcia, you make me laugh. It can be very disconcerting but one gets used to seeing these critters.

Mirka, that's exactly it! You just know when you nailed it. Now, if I could only have these moments with my novels ...