Tuesday, April 16, 2013

Divine Mercy

Many of you know that I suffer from intractable migraines. I've tried many preventatives, without much success. Although it's hard for me to call this a blessing, in many ways, it is. I have learned to pray, to have compassion for others who are chronically ill, who have no one to share their suffering with, to work without complaining, to let go what I cannot do, to be more accepting, if not embracing the cross. I'm not there yet in my journey. I still argue, plead, wheedle, cry, get angry that God allows this.

Thank you to all who pray for me, and help me get through my weak periods, who do not leave me alone in my misery, but lift me up to the Lord. I am blessed. I am grateful. My sister sent me this lovely Divine Mercy prayer.

Eternal God,
in whom mercy is endless
and the treasury of compassion
- inexhaustible,
look kindly upon us
and increase Your mercy in us,
that in difficult moments
we might not despair
nor become despondent,
but with great confidence
submit ourselves to Your holy will,
which is Love and Mercy itself.

Amen.

A helpful resource that addresses the problem of suffering is CS Lewis' The Problem of Pain.
If you have other books you can recommend, I would greatly appreciate it.
Thank you.

5 comments:

Becky Shillington said...

Beautiful poem, Vijaya! I hope you are feeling good today! = )

Mirka Breen said...

Yes^, Vijaya. Courage.

Faith E. Hough said...

You know my prayers are still coming. I hope you're feeling better today!

Vijaya said...

Thank you ladies. This has been a good week. I'll take more of them :)

Marcia said...

Yes, that's lovely. Hope you are doing well today. :)