It's been nearly a month since I've returned home from a family reunion in WA. I've not been back for a decade so it was extra-special to spend this time with my in-laws. I felt like we were chasing the sunset across the country as we flew West. I loved spending the week with our children, their spouses, and their sweet babies. Sharing a few pictures of our time together (minus grandkids). Here we are on the Port Townsend ferry. And of course, no trip is complete without a trip to a brewery. Propolis Brewing was exceptional.
Of course, I always manage to find a cat to cuddle!
At the visit to Chuckanut Brewery, the Navy was doing some exercises. So fun to watch them on this beautiful day.
We have so many beautiful memories in my in-laws home in Oak Harbor. Charlanne taught Dagny how to make pies and here she is making a cherry pie, using her grandmother's cookbook, which she gets to keep. Laura made a blackberry cobbler. I spent some time in the sunroom painting. We had a lovely time eating apples, plums, and blackberries.
Don and Charlanne had such a wonderful time with all the family gathered. It's hard to believe, last year there was only one great-grandchild. And this year--FIVE!!!
Alas, I had a very bad fall and fractured my ankle. I missed Sunday Mass because I couldn't put any weight on my foot. I was one step ahead of the babies, crawling on the floor. But our dear friend, Fr. Dwight Lewis, was saying Mass at St. Augustine and he graciously waited until Michael could bring me to him. What a joy to see him after all these years. He was a seminarian when we were going through RCIA at St. Jude. We had the great honor of witnessing his ordination and first Mass. He is a powerful preacher, ruffling feathers, not allowing you to stay in your comfortable place, rather challenging you to go deeper into the Christian life.
I think my travelling days are coming to an end, which is just as well, since I love staying home. Still, I'm so grateful to have had this time to spend with my in-laws. I brought home some mementos: Michael's maternal grandmother preserved the butterflies, seeds, stalks and leaves so artfully; a bird's nest that Don removed while we were visiting--I added the Ukrainian Easter eggs I'd made many years ago. On the right is an old hummingbird nest with cracked eggs--I love these marvels of nature; feathers found on the property; and some of Don's barbershop music! These will grace our home now.

2 comments:
So glad you got to spend some quality time with family. What a blessing! Sorry to hear about your ankle and pray it heals fully and quickly. Really enjoyed that Dagny gets to keep her grandmother's cookbook. What a special gift.
Carol, thank you. It's so special to have this time together with family. A part of me wishes we weren't so far apart, yet our lives have unfolded beautifully in SC, and it is where God called us to be. This is home (we even bought our cemetery plots :) And so, so special for Dagny to have her grandmother's cookbook with notes in her handwriting--it even has something about Michael's bbq sauce!
Post a Comment