Wednesday, November 30, 2016

Three Christmas Books for Kids

For those who know me, you know I'm a sucker for letters. So look at these two beautiful Christmas books.

Christmas Love Letters from God: Bible Stories written by Glenys Nellist and illustrated by Rachel Clowes traces the Christmas story beginning with Isaiah's prophecy and ending with the visit from the Three Wise Men. There are seven stories altogether in a mix of prose and poetry, followed by a love letter from God (lift the flap). What I loved about this book is how much it promotes intimacy with God. Ms. Nellist emphasizes God's promises and His unconditional love. The artwork has a warm and textural feel to it and children will enjoy reading this multiple times. Thanks to BookLook for providing a review copy.

The Twelve Days of Christmas in Kentucky written by Evelyn B. Christensen and illustrated by Kent Culotta is a wonderful adaptation of the traditional song. Martin is visiting his cousin Marybeth in Kentucky and each day she gives him a gift of an experience. Martin writes home about it. The letters are both fun and informative and the illustrations capture the spirit. Did you know Abe Lincoln was born there? Or that the world's longest cave system is Mammoth Cave in KY? Reading Martin's letters will have you homesick for the Bluegrass state. 

I had the great pleasure of meeting Ev five years ago when we were moving from WA and want to go back for a visit. And it's only after reading this book that I remembered that years and years ago, when we lived in Cincinnati, OH, my father took us to Cumberland Falls and we ate Kentucky Fried Chicken. So thank you, dear friend.

Parents of elementary school children, take note. She is a puzzle-master extraordinaire and has numerous math puzzle books for children. Check them out on Amazon or her website.

And here's a third book that is pure fun. The Twelve Days of Christmas: Starring the Chickens by Janet Lee Carey and illustrated by Molly Blaisdell is a fun romp with chickens. Carey's words had me singing and the chicken doodles cracked me up. I think a book like this can inspire kids to make their own 12 days of Christmas stories. Thanks to the illustrator for providing me with a review copy.

Finally, here's a picture of some of my bounty!!! I do love this time of the year to splurge on books not just for myself but for the people I love. 


8 comments:

Mirka Breen said...

Three times YES. So happy to see E. Christensen's new book there.

Faith E. Hough said...

Smiling. :) I'm headed to our bookstore one of these days--excited to spend all the Christmas book money I've been saving up!

Barbara Etlin said...

They all look so interesting. Three very different takes on one theme. I have to say I LOVE the cover of the third one!

Anonymous said...

Great selection! I've got the Twelve Days of Christmas in Kentucky in my reading pile. :)

Vijaya said...

Barb, isn't it fascinating how different 3 Christmas books can be? I hope Molly sees your comment. If you love her artwork, she also has these crazy chickens trying to take over Halloween.

Trine Grillo said...

Have you seen "Good Night, Manger" by my friend Laura Sassi?

Trine Grillo said...

Have you seen "Good Night, Manger" by my friend Laura Sassi?

Vijaya said...

AmaT, I haven't yet. But it sounds so lovely. A perfect addition. Thank you for reminding me.