I'm so excited to share my newest picture book with you all. It's Little Thief! or Chota Chor! in Hindi. Based on a real experience when I was a child in India, I wrote about it 18 years ago for my ICL Assignment 3, a description of a place we remember using all five senses. More on this later.
Wednesday, September 30, 2020
Tuesday, September 22, 2020
September is such a beautiful month--we have a lot of family birthdays on both sides and when we lived in WA it was lovely to gather and celebrate. This first picture was taken 17-18 years ago. Dagny is just a baby in Grandma's arms. I miss those monthly get-togethers, but what a treat to thumb through old photos. And this summer, Michael and the kids went to WA to spend time with family. They took in all their favorite sights and more. Max made a beautiful photobook so I wanted to share some of the beauty here as well. It was picture perfect.
Wednesday, September 9, 2020
Outlining works for me because the jumbled images that come to my mind can be organized where I can see them. They often suggests a story and now I can see if all the elements are in a logical order. Note that my outline is a combination of sentences as well as short phrases. Many people balk at writing outlines. Fear not. You can write a rough draft and create an outline from it. Happy reading, writing and outlining.
A SHOT IN THE ARM – HOW VACCINES WORK
· Ouch! Shots hurt. But they prevent you from getting sick.
· Teach body how to fight germs
2. B cells
· Trillions of B cells
· Each B cell recognizes a bit of something that is NOT part of yourself
· Specificity – germs match up with their B cells
· B cell becomes active – clones itself and makes antibodies
· Antibodies bind germ and destroy them
3. Time frame of infection
· Germs multiply fast – 1 can turn into a million in a few hours
· B cells take about 1-2 weeks to catch up in antibody production
· Height of battle – you start feeling better
4. After the infection
· Body is the same except that it knows how to fight against germ
· Memory B cells – sometimes they live for your entire life
· Basis of vaccination – vaccines contain dead/weakened germs without making you sick
· Armed and ready to fight
· Time frame of second infection – less than a week and you probably won’t even feel sick
5. Edward Jenner
· Cowpox protects against smallpox
· Vaccines – magic bullets
1. Helena Curtis. 1983. Biology (Fourth Edition). Worth Publishers.
2. Bernard D. Davis et. al. 1980. Microbiology (Third Edition). Harper & Row Publishers.
3. Edward Jenner. 1938. Scientific papers: physiology, medicine, surgery and geology. Harvard Classics Vol. 38. P. F. Collier & Son, edited by Charles W. Eliot.
4. Paul deKruif. 1926. Microbe Hunters. Harcourt Brace & Co.
5. Louise E. Robbins. 2001. Louis Pasteur and the Hidden World of Microbes. Oxford University Press.
6. Ivan Roitt et. al. 1985. Immunology. C.V. Mosby Co.
Monday, September 7, 2020
This is the first picture book that I ever wrote and sent out. The story itself stands up to scrutiny after nearly two decades but not my cover letter. I can use this as a teaching tool. Let's spot all the ways how one ought not to write a cover:
The tender friendship between my cat and son from birth through two years is documented in candid photographs. I am sending a manuscript (180 words) and a rough dummy for a 32-page picture book titled, Kali and Baby Max based upon it. [In another letter I offer to let the illustrator use my pictures as inspiration for art.]
Kali and Baby Max is targeted for the youngest readers (age 1-5). It shows the joy of having a pet. Although there are many books on the market with this theme, I have not found a picture book that is as realistic as mine. And it is the reality of the antics that Kali and Max do together that is so fresh and appealing. [Any more adjectives?]
My professional background is in the sciences (B.Sc. Microbiology; Ph.D. Biochemistry) and I have published in scientific journals. I write stories and poems for my children and take writing courses and believe that I will succeed in this new venture. [Brimming with confidence! What relevance does a PhD have for a book for with babies and toddlers, I have no idea.]
I am submitting Kali and Baby Max to other publishing houses but I will promptly notify you if I hear from the others. I appreciate your time and consideration and look forward to your reply.