Tuesday, June 19, 2018

Bodach Books

This is my new publishing venture--Bodach Books--books to elevate, enlighten, and entertain. I just love this logo that Derrick Alderman designed for me. I'd wanted two Bs back to back and a cross. My little sketch looked like a beetle but Derrick's design is more than I could ever have dreamed about. It denotes and connotes so many things, besides just the name. The suggestion of the cross is magnificent. It even matches the cross I wear that belonged to Michael's paternal grandmother, Tilly. The there's the V for my Christian name, which means Victory (through Jesus Christ our Lord). The Bs also remind me of a butterfly and transformation.
  

The first book to be published will be BOUND, a YA contemporary, cover and details to follow soon. Sooooo exciting! BB will be a great avenue for my YA and adult books, and also niche books. I tell you, there's not been a better time to be a writer than now because there are so many avenues for publication.   

I've been praying about self-publishing for over a year now. BOUND has been submission-ready for the past five years. I kid you not. I tried getting an agent for a couple of years but even the very complimentary agents didn't want to take it on. One agent was especially helpful; he planted the seed to self-publish. He felt the industry had changed and less open to a counter-cultural book like mine. Surely there would be one publisher, I thought, who'd like to invest in my book. I started sending it out to publishers. Again, a few great rejections--what an oxymoron--but I kept trying off and on. Mostly off, though. I was busy writing other books (I will have three new picture books out in 2019!!!) I told myself last year that I will try again in earnest to find a publisher for BOUND, but when I was down to micro-presses, I thought I might as well take all the risk and publish it myself. And now I wish I'd done this five years ago!!!

I'm learning a lot about self-publishing and hope to share good resources with you. Two of the most helpful have been Joanna Penn's Successful Self Publishing and David Gaughran's Let's Get Digital. A new edition is available but this first edition on my kindle was comprehensive. I especially enjoyed many of the success stories of midlist authors. It gives me great hope for my venture as well. Of course, there's so much I don't know and I don't know what I don't know, so please do educate me. Thank you! 

22 comments:

Unknown said...

Praying that your new Publishing Venture BODACH BOOKS brings you much success!!

Vijaya said...

Thank you Ruby. God-willing.

Molly/Cece said...

So thrilled for you!

Vijaya said...

Just following in your footsteps, Molly :) I can't believe how free I feel. It's exhilarating.

Joyce Moyer Hostetter said...

Congratulations, Vijaya! The logo is terrific!

Mirka Breen said...

It's a big step, and I for one am happy you are taking it, because I want to read BOUND. Calling a story countercultural is a very nice way of putting it. What once was the counterculture (think 1960s) is now mainstream. Sometimes moving forward is moving backward to our roots.

The logo is beautiful.

Vijaya said...

Thank you Joyce! I love artists because they know how to bring your vision to life.

Mirka, I can't wait for BOUND to be in the hands of readers. And you are so right about *new* meaning going back to the old. Thank you so much for celebrating with me.

Christine Kohler said...

Love the logo! Thank you for sharing your journey. Congratulations and may God bless you abundantly in this new venture!

Johnell said...

Congrats!!! Awesome logo.

Kristi Holl said...

Really love that logo!!!! I know you don't take steps lightly, but only after a lot of prayer and waiting on the Lord. I'm excited for this new venture of yours.

Unknown said...

Congrats! That's so exciting that you're joining the indie world. And let me know if you want to guest post on my blog when it comes time to promote it. :)

Vijaya said...

Thank you Christine and Johnell.

Thank you Kristi. It's funny to think how much time I spent praying about this. My natural inclination is to jump. And always, the net has appeared.

Thank you Katie. That is so kind of you. I would enjoy being a guest on your blog.

Faith said...

I'm so excited BOUND will be out in the world. About time, world. :) I can't wait to see what else comes from this new venture as well!

janlcoates said...

Very exciting and brave! I look forward to following your adventures!

Vijaya said...

Faith, thank you. Michael and I joke about having Bodach Books, Brewing, and Barbecue!!! We're not completely unserious. Something for our old age.

Thank you Jan.

Tina Cho said...

Congratulations, Vijaya! I love your logo and having the cross be central!

Vijaya said...

Thank you Tina. Yes, the cross--all glory to our dear Lord Jesus.

Barbara Etlin said...

I love your logo! Congrats, V!

Carol Baldwin said...

great logo and congrats. Keep us all posted!

Vijaya said...

Thank you Barb and Carol.

Jody Jensen Shaffer said...

Congratulations, Vijaya!! I'm so happy for you about your new imprint and YA...and your three picture books in the wings! Go, you!

Vijaya said...

Jody, thank you! It's been such an exciting time getting all this set up!