Monday, September 1, 2014

The Heat is On

These chili peppers are HOT!!! I made a vegetable stew and does it set my mouth on fire. Oy! But it feels so good.

Our garden isn't doing all that great. The soil is sandy and the crabs, squirrels and deer eat whatever they can nab. My poor husband works plenty hard and I hate to make him spend all his spare time building a compost pile or a fence. Besides, every time he goes out to prune, he is attacked by poison ivy ... it's all over the place. Grrr. I think we'll stick to growing things in a pot on the porch, like these peppers. Our herbs are doing great too. 

Gardening is a great metaphor for writing. And right now my mood is conducive to writing short, writing with strict boundaries, and pruning. So tell me, how is your writing garden growing?

7 comments:

Mirka Breen said...

"So tell me, how is your writing garden growing?"

Beginning to sprout, thank you for asking ;)

BTW- we have Poison Oak rather than Ivy on the west coast, and I have to worry about my darling kitties brining it home as a present. They mean well.

Barbara Etlin said...

I find my terrace flower pots are much easier to maintain than my former garden, which was often raided or invaded by squirrels, cats, skunks, or racoons.

Johnell said...

There is something peaceful about a garden. I miss my little herb garden. Hopefully soon, we'll get one here too.

Vijaya said...

Mirka, sprouting is a great stage to be in. I hope you know that beneath their sweet faces, those kitties are secretly plotting, right?

Barbara, I've seen pictures of your lush flower garden on the terrace! Yes, I think it's going to be the way to go for us until we get a fence. Although it won't detract the possum.

Johnell, I hope you will plant a little garden soon. You can even have fall plants in a pot.

Haddock said...

Crabs in the garden?
As for me our cherry tomatoes are giving a good yield and this is the second week I am plucking from them (about a dozen daily)

Marcia said...

Well, my writing garden is better than any kind of actual plant garden. I'm going to try to do more with flowers next year. Sometimes, it just doesn't make it to the top of the to-do list.

Vijaya said...

Haddock, we live on a sandpit practically, close to the marsh, so fiddler crabs keep busy in our garden.

Your cherry tomatoes sound plentiful.

Marcia, if I had to choose I'd pick the thriving writing garden over any vegetable of flower one.