Monday, August 7, 2017

A Birthday and a Death Day

Today I celebrate my brother's birthday, a brother whom I never met. He died before I was born. I knew him only through stories my mother told me. Oh, the power of story to linger in our memories! I long to meet him and I know I will when I get to heaven. My mother, when she was dying, told us she could see her father and her son, who had both preceded her in death. The veil between heaven and earth had parted. She must've had a very holy death.

Today I happened upon the sad news of a dear friend dying (yesterday, the Feast of the Transfiguration). She is the most courageous woman I know. She fought cancer for the five years I knew her. And with a smile. She prayed a lot, offering up her suffering to God for her husband, her two beautiful girls, her many relatives and friends. I was one of the blessed recipients. I'm afraid I wasn't a very good friend though. Forgive me.

Liberty dear, in the short time I knew you, you taught me to suffer well, to accept everything, and to love well. May you enjoy the company of Jesus, Mary, Joseph, and all in heaven. Pray for me even as I pray for thee. And I promise to pick up the phone more often. Requiem aeternam!


Doesn't this picture made by her daughter light up the screen?

5 comments:

Mirka Breen said...

The sadness is that we have to miss them.
I'm moved that you remember a brother you never met. My mother told me her mother lost two babies before she was born, one at birth and another just four days after. I always thought my mother, an only child, had a brother and a sister somewhere.

Faith E. Hough said...

I will be praying for her family and friends...
And a happy birthday to your brother--a soul glorifying God and certainly influencing your life even if you never met him!

Johnell said...

Oh I am so sorry. God bless you all.

Vijaya said...

Thank you, my friends.

Mirka, how very sad for your grandmother to have lost two babies. I'm so thankful your mother survived -- she must've been such a joy to your parents. And now you are here, and your children. The joy multiplies.

Faith, I imagine children who die so early in the arms of our Heavenly Father and Mother, interceding for their families here on earth.

Jenni said...

I'm sorry about the loss of your friend. She sounds like an amazing and inspiring woman! I think you're so right about the power of memory. I feel like I knew my grandfather, who died right before I was born, from my father's stories. It is a wonderful thing when you know you will see those you love again in heaven.