Monday, August 5, 2024

A Road Trip and a Reunion

Michael and I made a wonderful road trip to Texas for a family reunion in July and we also made a pilgrimage to several shrines along the way. We prayed and talked and listened to several audiobooks, all available on FormedThe Lighthouse by Michael O'Brien was my favorite, followed by The Sabbatical, also by O'Brien. We also enjoyed Sohrab Ahmari's journey to the Catholic faith in his memoir From Fire, by Water. We listened to the first few chapters of A Priest is Not His Own by Ap. Fulton Sheen. It's so good I had to buy a hard copy, which I will enjoy reading and re-reading.   

First stop was the Shrine of the Blessed Sacrament. It was so lovely to make a Holy Hour there, hear Mass with the angelic singing of the cloistered nuns, and spend time in this beautiful area. If we ever had to leave our home, this is the place I'd want to be. Since we're not allowed to take pictures in the shrine, I was grateful that they had a photobook with some commentary for purchase in the gift shop.  




Near this shrine was another monastery, St. Bernard Abbey, where the public is free to wander the Ave Maria Grotto, or Little Jerusalem, original miniatures built by Brother Joseph Zoettl (1878-1961). I was completely enchanted and I am amazed that he'd never seen any of the beautiful shrines that he built so perfectly in miniature. You'll notice broken glass, bottle caps, shells, marbles, and other discarded items. Given my travelling days are numbered, it was such a delight to see these wonders, along with a friendly kitty :)












The family reunion was so special. My sister and sister-in-law cooked all the delicious Indian food. The cousins planned games and outings. This is the first time they were all together at the same time. How I wish our family weren't so scattered all over the US but I'm grateful for all the letters, the time we do have together, and for transportation--the very thing that has separated families. A double-edged sword for sure. My father understands. It was his 96th birthday but wasn't able to travel for the festivities. Still we all sang to him on the phone, in harmony! We missed our mom--how proud she'd be of her growing family. Today is my eldest brother's birthday who died as a child. Oh, how I long for heaven!!! Heaven!!!








We were lucky to get out of Texas with the first bands of hurricane Beryl slowing our drive. We spent a couple of nights in New Orleans and heard Sunday Mass at St. Patrick's church, which was being renovated. Just beautiful!   



The Museum of WWII is a must. Such an important piece of our history--we can never forget the crimes against humanity and the sacrifices so many made to protect the innocent. I feel it most urgently, esp. as our current administration has taken us to the brink of WWIII. Only God can save us now. I especially enjoyed reading the little-known stories of the men and women who served. And always, I learn something new--the history of the Merchant Marines. 




We visited a couple more shrines. Our pastor had introduced me to Blessed Francis Xavier Seelos several years ago. He's known for his many miracles, so I was grateful to have this opportunity to pray at his shrine. It's right next to St. Mary's Assumption Church and what a beautiful and peaceful place of worship. Our last shrine to visit was that of Our Lady of Prompt Succor. If you need help quickly, she's the one to invoke! 




This was such a wonderful trip, being strengthened in faith and family, and our friendship with the saints. I think about all the people who made sacrifices to build these beautiful churches. What a gift it is to us. And always, I was fascinated by the clouds. They are such a reminder of God's presence, His watch over us, His infinite love for us. May you always feel secure in His Love and Mercy. 

4 comments:

Mirka Breen said...

Great photos, great family. You are blessed

Evelyn said...

Yes to what Mirka said. God is good!

Carol Soisson said...

A loving family is a blessing and a gift. So glad you were able to enjoy some time together. And the shrines look amazing. We are fortunate to have so many beautiful places of worship throughout the USA. May God bless this nation.

Barbara Etlin said...

Those miniatures are impressive! Reminds me of Madurodam near The Hague in the Netherlands. Mazel Tov on your father's 96th birthday!