Monday, September 9, 2024

Sing! Sing! Sing!

Choir practices have started up at Stella Maris and Sacred Heart and what a joy it is to sing the Mass!!! How perfect to begin this on the birthday of our dear Mother Mary! Oddly, the more I have on my plate to practice, the more I'm writing as well. Don't ask me how or why, but I'm so rejuvenated. Praise God! 

The picture is from the Mass of Dedication of St. Clare of Assisi Catholic Church last year. It was such an honor to be invited to sing with their choir and alongside the professionals. Some of my favorite people are in the picture so what a delight to receive it from the music director at St. Clare. She's recruiting! I've been happy with my own recruiting efforts for our two church choirs and barbershop chorus!

A lot of people don't think they can't sing Gregorian chant, so here's a crash course in a little over half hour from Floriani/Gregorian Chant Academy

Singing, like writing, or any other creative pursuit, is so good for our mental, physical, and spiritual well-being. See: Choir singing improves health, happiness – and is the perfect icebreaker | University of Oxford   I can personally attest to its healing power--my migraines are much diminished when I sing or write. So I wish upon you much creative work, good health, and abundant blessings.  

4 comments:

Carol Soisson said...

Happy to hear you are finding time for so many things you enjoy.

Mirka Breen said...

Singing is THE BEST. Now, if only those I share my home with liked my singing...

Barbara Etlin said...

Lovely! A friend who is a doctor is in a choir for physicians, which they started in 2020 at the beginning of Covid, all done on Zoom. They used a metronome for timing and a prerecorded base (and maybe a tuning fork to ensure they were all in pitch). A few played guitars and a computer expert put it all together. It was amazing!

Vijaya said...

Carol, I do lead a charmed life. So blessed. So grateful. Thank you for reading.

Mirka, your cats complain? No way. Mine help me by sitting on my music...so that I must memorize it :) Seriously though, a friend of mine who is an amazing singer has a husband who doesn't enjoy listening to her practice. I suggested he work in the garden...

Barb, a lot of people met on zoom during covid to sing together. Creativity knows no bounds. Thanks so much for telling me about your friend. Our parish was closed only for three months and I cried every single time I had to tune in for Mass, and esp. for Holy Week and Easter. Never again.