Friday, August 22, 2014

On Meekness and Humility

Learn of me, because I am meek and humble of heart; and you shall find rest in your souls. Matthew 11:29

THE PHARISEE AND THE PUBLICAN, historiated initial 'D' on a leaf from an ILLUMINATED MANUSCRIPT GRADUAL ON VELLUMThis month St. Alphonsus exhorts us to be humble. I have been reading and re-reading this chapter because I struggle so much with this. The moment I attain some level of humility, I am proud of it. I am like the Pharisee who says, "thank God I'm not like those other people ..." I used to say all the time, "I could be much worse" and continued with my sinful ways feeling quite superior to others. I didn't have a contrite heart at all. Now, I am appalled at my past. I am like the publican who says, "O Lord, be merciful to me, a sinner." But pride still rears its ugly head too often.

St. Alphonsus says:

"Humility is called by the saints the foundation and safeguard of all the virtues. If it is not the most prominent among the virtues, it occupies, according to St. Thomas, the first place as the foundation of the rest. In the erection of a building, the basement comes before the walls and pillars, even though the latter be of gold. And so in the spiritual life humility must precede everything else in order to banish pride, to which God is so opposed.

"The Son of God descended from Heaven to teach man by word and example the value of humility, and with this end in view He went so far as to 'empty himself, taking the form of a servant, being made in the likeness of men, and in habit found as a man. He humbled himself ... even to the death of the cross.' Phil 2:7. His first appearance on earth was in the humble stable of Bethlehem; the greater portion of His mortal life was spent in humble retirement at Nazareth. He departed this life, humbled and despised, on the summit of Mt. Calvary.

"'Lord, give me the treasure of humility,' prayed St. Augustine. Humility is called a treasure because the Lord sees to it that the humble abound in good things. When man's heart is full of himself, there is no room for God's gifts. Man must therefore, as it were, be emptied of himself by the knowledge of his own nothingness. 'He that is mighty hath done great things to me,' said the Blessed Virgin Mary, 'because he hath regarded the humility of his handmaid.' Luke 1:48.


"Humility and meekness were the favorite virtues of Jesus Christ and He recommended them in a particular manner to His disciples when He said, 'learn of me, because I am meek and humble of heart; and you shall find rest in your souls.' Matthew 11:29 

"Our Divine Redeemer was called the "Lamb of God," not only on account of the Sacrifice He was to make of Himself on the Cross in expiation for sin, but also on account of the meekness that characterized His whole life and particularly during His bitter Passion. 

"When He hung upon the Cross and His enemies loaded Him with insults and ignominy, He turned to His heavenly Father and said, Father, forgive them, for they know not what they do. Luke 23:34.

"How dear to God are those meek souls who bear all manner of offenses and indignities without giving way to anger!"

St. Alphonsus reminds us that even when we must discipline, we must do it with meekness. Like the good Samaritan, we must heal the wound with oil and wine.

"Meekness accomplishes far more than anger and bitterness."

Finally, St. Alphonsus reminds us to be meek towards ourselves, when we have committed a fault. "To be angry with oneself after committing a fault is not a sign of humility, but of secret pride; it shows that we do not regard ourselves as the weak and wretched creatures that we really are. St. Aloysius said, the devil likes to fish in troubled waters, where we can distinguish nothing.

Rafael Cardinal Merry del Val"We must turn to the Lord with humility and confidence. We must do as the Apostles did when they were tossed about by the stormy sea; they had instant recourse to their Divine Master; He alone can still the storms of the human heart."

This post is rather long, and bless you if you read it all the way. This chapter has been a turning point in my path to holiness. I hope it will be of help to you as well.

I leave you with the Litany of Humility by Rafael Cardinal Merry del Val (1865-1930)  -- it is one of the most difficult prayers to recite and I still cannot pray it with my whole heart. Dear friends, pray for me and I will pray for thee. 

O Jesus meek and humble of heart, Hear me.
From the desire of being esteemed, Deliver me, Jesus.
From the desire of being loved, Deliver me, Jesus.
From the desire of being extolled, Deliver me, Jesus.
From the desire of being honored, Deliver me, Jesus.
From the desire of being praised, Deliver me, Jesus.
From the desire of being preferred to others, Deliver me, Jesus.
From the desire of being consulted, Deliver me, Jesus.
From the desire of being approved, Deliver me, Jesus.
From the fear of being humiliated, Deliver me, Jesus.
From the fear of being despised, Deliver me, Jesus.
From the fear of suffering rebukes, Deliver me, Jesus.
From the fear of being calumniated, Deliver me, Jesus.
From the fear of being forgotten, Deliver me, Jesus.
From the fear of being ridiculed, Deliver me, Jesus.
From the fear of being wronged, Deliver me, Jesus.
From the fear of being suspected, Deliver me, Jesus.
That others may be loved more than I,
   Jesus, grant me the grace to desire it.
That others may be esteemed more than I,
   Jesus, grant me the grace to desire it.
That in the opinion of the world, others may increase, and I may decrease,
   Jesus, grant me the grace to desire it.
That others may be chosen and I set aside,
   Jesus, grant me the grace to desire it.
That others may be praised and I unnoticed,
   Jesus, grant me the grace to desire it.
That others may be preferred to me in everything,
   Jesus, grant me the grace to desire it.
That others may become holier than I, provided that I become as holy as I should,
   Jesus, grant me the grace to desire it.

 

4 comments:

Faith E. Hough said...

Oh, this: "To be angry with oneself after committing a fault is not a sign of humility, but of secret pride; it shows that we do not regard ourselves as the weak and wretched creatures that we really are."
Yeah, that's where I'm at...
I often wonder if I'll ever reach humility; I seem so far from it most of the time. I guess I'll have a good long stretch in purgatory to figure it out!

Mirka Breen said...

I can't recall who said it, but it resonated: "true humility does not consist of diminishing ones abilities, but of knowing what they truly are."
I think you set a good example, Vijaya.

Vijaya said...

Faith, this particular point opened my eyes. And it made me realize the difference between a deep sorrow of our sins and being mad at oneself.

I'll see you in purgatory, then :)

Mirka, that is a good quote. And thank you for the vote of confidence.

Suman Khisty said...

Love this prayer on Litany on Humility. We all need it. Believe me, you are not the only one who struggles with it but you are one of the few who is aware of it and that is the Holy Spirit giving you the wisdom to recognize it. And thank God for purgatory, at least we have a chance to make amends!!
Love you Vijaya and feel so blessed that God chose you to be my sister.