Wednesday, January 24, 2018

Best Confession Ever!!!

Aren't they all? You might walk in with some trepidation*, yet you walk out of the confessional light and carefree, pure and holy (if only for several moments), all fear and sorrow gone, with the resolve and the grace to amend your life knowing ALL your sins are forgiven.**

And here's what happens when you run into your friends in the confessional line. You make your penance--I still remember one time when we were newbie Catholics in WA, sharing our penances with each other and my husband and kids were told to pray 3 Hail Marys, and I received a decade of the rosary!

"Whatever did you do?" they asked.
"I'm not telling!" I said. "God has already forgotten :)"
But I digress.

After you make your penance, you stand outside because it's so lovely and everything is clean and bright like your soul and one by one, friends gather to catch up. You've not had a chance to do this for a while and it is getting a bit chilly (here in Charleston, anything below 70 is cold) so you decide to continue at the local pub over drinks.

Best confession ever!!!

This is the Chapel in Bishop England where I hear daily Mass.
I'm sitting in my favorite corner with
St. Joseph standing guard above me.
I'd had a migraine since Friday and meds weren't doing a whole lot and it didn't seem like a good idea to go to a noisy place but when I asked Michael (isn't he a good husband to drive me to confession because I was unable?) he was in. We already had dinner waiting for us at home and Dagny was taking a nap after work. We had such a good time and half-way through a mango-pina-colada I realized my head was doing much, much better.

Wow! Maybe the confession has something to do with it. After all, it is a minor exorcism. I've not kept a record of confessions but maybe I'll add that to my calendar with a big C. I keep a Mass journal and boy is it ever helpful to remember how God has been speaking to me. But maybe it was the rum :)

 
As much as confessing my sins is uncomfortable, it humbles me and prepares me to receive Holy Communion. There is nothing greater than this. It's Jesus Himself. No matter what happens, even if it's something terrible in the news about a pedophile or corrupt priest, I could never abandon this ship. To whom shall I go? I am so happy when I can go to Mass. It's the best 20 minutes of my day. I return home blessed with Jesus, my Lord, my God, my all upon my lips.

Jesus, my Lord, my God, my all!
How can I love Thee as I ought?
And how revere this wondrous gift,
So far surpassing hope or thought?

Refrain:
Sweet Sacrament, we Thee adore!
Oh, make us love Thee more and more.
Oh, make us love Thee more and more.

Had I but Mary's sinless heart
With which to love Thee, dearest King,
Oh, with what ever fervent praise,
Thy goodness, Jesus, would I sing!
Refrain

Thy Body, Soul and Godhead, all!
O mystery of love divine!
I cannot compass all I have,
For all Thou hast and art is mine!
Refrain

Sound, then, His praises higher still,
And come, ye angels, to our aid;
For this is God, the very God
Who hath both men and angels made!
Refrain

Etymology here and I am in awe of the people who've written poetry that is theologically sound! Wow!!!

I can't wait until St. Clare of Assisi is finally built here on Daniel Island and we'll have a perpetual Adoration chapel. Scroll down the website for a proposed design--isn't it gorgeous?!!!
_______________

*Kneel, cross yourself, and begin, "Bless me Father for I have sinned ..." continue for instructions if you've been away from this sacrament for a long time. As Father Z says "Go to Confession!" Amazing grace for sure.

**Words of Absolution (what the priest says to you): God the Father of mercies, through the death and resurrection of your son, you have reconciled the world to yourself and sent the Holy Spirit among us for the forgiveness of sins. Through the ministry of the church, may God grant you pardon and peace. And I absolve you of your sins, in the name of the Father, and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit. Amen. 

This is Stella Maris, where we hear Mass on Sundays and Holy Days.
The marble floor had to be removed to repair the sub-floor, damaged during Irma. 

2 comments:

Mirka Breen said...

I think the Catholic confession is one of the best practices instituted (or gifted)--EVER.
And I'm not Catholic.

Vijaya said...

It is truly a gift, Mirka. Being body and spirit, we really need to hear those words of absolution.