Tuesday, September 18, 2018

In Praise of the Local -- Island Expressions

I always try to shop locally and one of the most wonderful things about living on Daniel Island is that everything I need is here. About the only time I leave the island is on Sundays to go to Latin Mass at Stella Maris. Yes, this is how small my life is and I like it just fine :) 

My interview with Heath Ellison of Daniel Island News is up. A friend of mine saw it before I did--our newspaper was soggy by the time I found it. I doubt many on the island will even see it because of Florence. I shouldn't complain when so many people have lost their homes in NC and upper SC. It's better to have a Cat 4 hurricane blow through quickly than this awful slow-moving Cat 1/tropical storm. The torrential rainfall has caused devastating flooding. 

Anyhow, newspapers are notorious for cutting off the ends of things if they're running out of space, so my book signing/meet-the-author event didn't show up. Locals: I'll be at Island Expressions on Tuesday, Oct. 9th from 4-6 pm. I hope to see you there. I picked up a dry copy of the paper from the lovely shop--it's the place I go when I need to get a unique gift. The best part is that many of the items are made by artists in the area. So thankful for local arts and crafts.   

 

Finally, here's a very useful website that lists all newspapers in the US: http://www.usnpl.com/  Local papers are always happy to publish community news so if you have a book to promote, never hesitate to contact your newspaper.

5 comments:

Mirka Breen said...

I enjoyed the well written article, Vijaya, and enjoyed your book even more. I hope you enjoy the book signing on October 9th. Joy!

Faith E. Hough said...

That's super! And I'm very glad to see your post, as I've wondered how you fared with the storms. Everyone down in the Carolinas has been in our prayers.

Vijaya said...

Thank you Mirka. I hope we get a good showing--it'd be a win-win for all.

Faith, thank you for all the prayers. I am convinced that's how we dodged this one. We are always in solidarity with our coastal neighbors. It's always neighbor helping neighbor.

Barbara Etlin said...

Congrats on the great article, Vijaya. The store looks so inviting, a lovely place to have a book signing. Good luck!

I'm so relieved you came through the storm okay.

Vijaya said...

Thank you Barb. It is one of my favorites. And yes, thanks be to God for our safety.