Tuesday, March 31, 2020

The Longest Lent--Home

Lent began Feb. 26th and my reflection for that day is up on CatholicMom. It's strange to go back and read it again, but our pastor's advice is gold--begin the practice again. Who could've predicted the kind of Lent we're having? The sacrifices we didn't plan on making? The common enemy? Over and over, I learn that we are not in control. 

Our kids arrived with their friends that weekend, the same weekend I received my miraculous healing from the migraines. It was a wonderful spring break, full of laughter and games, food and conversations. Max turned 21 and Michael had a couple of beers brewed for him--an out stout and a hazy hoppy kind. All the older kids enjoyed sampling the birthday beer. Oh, these Scrambled Square puzzles are the hardest to solve. Joe managed to piece the cats. Can you tell what's wrong with the retriever puzzle? I've not been able to solve it--the closest I come is with one edge not matching, which means you have to start all over again. Anyway, it's a great brain-teaser. 




Michael set up the hydroponic garden again. We're enjoying our fresh greens and I see a stir-fry with that bok-choy in the very near future. I love how quickly the bean plant curled around the string we lowered. This kind of touch response is something we studied in my years at the Max Planck. It's fascinating. 




And our latest pets are honeybees, 10,000 of them! That's 3 lbs and it makes a good math problem for a kid to determine the weight of one honeybee :) Michael's been taking classes on beekeeping and is pretty comfortable with bees crawling all over his hands when he feeds them. I'm not so brave. It's been so interesting to watch them. They're settling in nicely, drinking sugar water, collecting pollen, making combs. The queen must be busy laying eggs. Sometimes Michael inadvertently brings a bee indoors but the cats are very good at finding it. Here they are having a little play-fight while I write. Cat-watching has to be the best.


I've been getting back into the writing groove and now that the kids are home from college, we all need to get into a good rhythm of work and play and prayers. I love praying these outdoor Stations of the Cross on Daniel Island, where the new St. Clare of Assisi Catholic Church will be built. Check out the building progress. We are soooo blessed.



These are the books I've been reading. In these times when so many are suffering, Man's Search for Meaning by Viktor Frankl is a must read. And I love having these beautiful Sunday Sermons from Fr. Leonard Goffine in book form. It's a little less intense than The Liturgical Year by Dom Prosper Gueranger, which Michael's been going through for a couple of years. Such lovely treasures in the Church, and so timely, since we cannot go to Mass. Again, my heart continues to be full at how privileged we've been to assist at Mass these past 11 years. Never again will I take it for granted. I pray you are well and I pray for God's peace upon your hearts. 

2 comments:

Mirka Breen said...

Such a happy home. So many blessings. :)
Can't wait till DS is able to at least leave his small room (a Peace Corps evacuee, so strict 14 day quarantine) and maybe we'll get to talk not through a door... Life outside is odd, also. Shelter-in-place everywhere.

Vijaya said...

Oh, Mirka, that'd be so hard--to have to talk through the door. So close and yet so far. But CA was hit hard--population density makes a difference. Hang in there. I'm praying you. I often think the mental anguish can be worse than physical pain. I feel very blessed to have my kidlets home and for a happy home life. I know it's hard on families too, when they're cooped up together.