Sunday, April 12, 2020

The Longest Lent--Happy Easter


My joy won't be complete until we are free to go to church, assist at Mass. We tuned in to our parish Triduum services and I wept every time because I cannot be there. I love the Exultet (~ 9 min) at the Easter Vigil. It's compressed salvation history. Oh how I love Jesus, but He loved me first, into existence, and even when I'd turned my back to Him. He's a persistent lover, never giving up. It's exactly the 11th anniversary of our reception into the church! What a happy night that was, giving my husband and children back to Him, returning to Him with my whole heart, and becoming part of the biggest family. Today, a beautiful High Mass, the homily at around 23 min. And at the very end, some goofiness :) 

Father spoke about the disparity between what seems real and reality itself. The authorities and unbelievers remembered Jesus' words about rising from the dead so guards were posted so that His disciples might not steal His Body. But His disciples, all believers, came with spices to anoint a dead Body. Good Friday seemed like a terrible defeat, the end, yet it was Jesus's victory over death. He passed from death into life. He opened the gates of heaven. 

O Death, where is your sting?
O hell, where is your victory?

Jesus lives! He lives!!! And where He is, we hope to follow. There's a beautiful sermon from St. John Chrysostom on the Paschal Mystery--it's very poetic too :) 

This coronavirus has brought much fear and suffering and sorrow into people's lives. Even those of us who aren't sick miss the communities we're part of. I'm so glad our pastor mentioned that the online methods of connection "ain't the same." He mentioned a paper by Mary Stanford: Technology and the Language of Bodily Presence. We experience everything through the body--children need our hugs and kisses, our presence. So how wonderful to have this gift of time with our children. We've finally gotten into the habit of having a family rosary after supper. Believe me, we've tried before, but any and all attempts at family devotions have fallen apart after a couple of weeks. The resistance is tremendous. I've always been jealous of Catholic families who not only homeschool but do daily devotions and all without the parents yelling at their kids. We are so not there...even Michael and I draw swords at times. But we have the Holy Family itself, helping us on our journey. Deo gratias!

Have a very blessed and happy, hoppy Easter! 

2 comments:

Mirka Breen said...

I was never a congregant (for any faith) so I don't have to experience this particular withdrawal, but I understand it is deeply felt by so many, especially today.
Maybe take solace in these words:"For where two or three are gathered together in my name, there am I in the midst of them." (Matthew 18:20)

Vijaya said...

It's funny, I thought that as an introvert, I wouldn't mind being home all the time. But I miss my weekly socializing after Mass. I miss my friends, seeing all the cute kids, our happy pastor. I miss their actual physical presence. Thank you for reminding me He is with us always--it's true, He lives enthroned upon my heart--but gosh, His Real Presence, I miss it.

We are flesh and blood and we need others. I feel especially sorry for the people who are alone and lonely with no one to give them a hug, or those who are dying without the comfort of family around, holding hands.