Monday, May 25, 2020

Memorial Day

This picture taken from the American Battle Monuments Commission. The images of hundreds and hundreds of crosses in neat rows in the American cemeteries in Belgium are ones I'll never forget even though I have no pictures in my photo album. Why not? I wonder. Probably because it's another thing I took for granted living in Verviers, the cemeteries within easy driving distance. But how blessed we were to be present at the 50th anniversary of VE-day at Henri-Chapelle. It really strikes you when you watch old men remembering their victory and sobbing over the losses of their brothers in arms. I will always be grateful to these brave men who gave their lives to defend our freedom. I wonder what they'd think of the US now with all our talk of being safe, huddled in our homes. How easily we believe the experts without questioning, how easily we give up our freedom to gather, how easily we give up fighting for the common good. But I do believe that God is working in us for a greater good, according to His purpose. Thy will be done, O Lord.  

Here I am, on a trip to the Canary Islands. The other is taken on a cruise down the Mosel river when our parents came to visit. I loved our stay, visiting historic battlefields and beautiful churches. Someday I want to visit with the children, but if there's only one place on earth I'm allowed to visit before I die, it'd have to the be Holy Land.   


With our parish reopening, I feel so much better. To be present at Mass is no small thing. Yesterday we sang the Dam Busters Hymn (Ps. 46) as a prelude. So grateful for our wonderful organist, Steve Collins, who is a veritable font of information on church matters, history, cars, and of course, music! We are praying now for the outpouring of the Holy Spirit in a new and big way! I'm asking for all seven gifts (see my pillowcase). The Christian life is all about growing, growing, growing in the devout life. I picked up a little gem of a book from the recycle pile: The Practice of the Presence of God by Brother Lawrence. How strange and wonderful to find it now, just when Michael was thinking about getting a copy.  

6 comments:

Mirka Breen said...

The photo of neat rows of crosses in Belgium is eerie. Maybe it's their orderliness.
The photos of a younger you, on the other hand, are a delight.

Vijaya said...

I didn't expect the orderliness but it's a place of peace and light. And those old photos--thank you--I sure did have a lot of hair!

Jenni said...

I really enjoyed all the pictures in your post. What a wonderful opportunity you had to see the cemeteries in Belgium. I do hope to be able to see the Normandy beaches someday. I'm sure it's a powerful sight.
My grandfather fought in the South Pacific and narrowly escaped being at Pearl Harbor when it was bombed. He never wanted to talk about the war. Only my hubby was able to get some stories out of him.
That generation was so brave. There is much we can learn from them.

Vijaya said...

Jenni, thank you. I hope you will get to see the Normandy beaches. I've never been. And Amen to the Greatest Generation. They were so brave. I think many of them suffered silently, stoically, not realizing that their stories will be lost to their children and grandchildren. I'm glad your husband was able to get him to speak. I've read so many Holocaust survivors accounts and so grateful they had the courage to share. We must never forget.

Victor S E Moubarak said...

Thank you to all those who have served, and died, for our freedom and way of living.

In the UK, memorial Sunday is the closest Sunday to November 11.

God bless.

Vijaya said...

Amen Viktor. We also celebrate Veteran's Day on Nov. 11th.