Friday, April 2, 2021

Good Friday Reproaches

I learned about the Reproaches only a couple of years ago when our choir director started singing them during the veneration of the Cross. They are powerful--Christ crying out to His people from the Cross. My favorite version is the chant alternating with polyphony composed by Victoria


My people, what have I done to you
How have I offended you? Answer me!

I led you out of Egypt,
from slavery to freedom,
but you led your Savior to the cross.

My people, what have I done to you?
How have I offended you? Answer me!

Holy is God!
Holy and mighty!
Holy immortal One, have mercy on us!

For forty years I led you
safely through the desert.
I fed you with manna from heaven,
and brought you to a land of plenty; but you led your Savior to the cross.

Repeat "Holy is God..."

What more could I have done for you.
I planted you as my fairest vine,
but you yielded only bitterness:
when I was thirsty you gave me vinegar to drink,
and you pierced your Savior with a lance.

Repeat "Holy is God..."

II.

For your sake I scourged your captors
and their firstborn sons,
but you brought your scourges down on me.

My people, what have I done to you?
How have I offended you? Answer me!

I led you from slavery to freedom
and drowned your captors in the sea,
but you handed me over to your high priests.
"My people...."

I opened the sea before you,
but you opened my side with a spear.
"My people...."

I led you on your way in a pillar of cloud,
but you led me to Pilate's court.
"My people...."

I bore you up with manna in the desert,
but you struck me down and scourged me.
"My people...."

I gave you saving water from the rock,
but you gave me gall and vinegar to drink.
"My people...."

For you I struck down the kings of Canaan.
but you struck my head with a reed.
"My people...."

I gave you a royal scepter,
but you gave me a crown of thorns.
"My people...."

I raised you to the height of majesty,
but you have raised me high on a cross.
"My people...."

Another favorite is the Taize chant: Jesus, remember me when You come into Your Kingdom. I was so honored to lead it off because it is a prayer I make many times throughout the day. I heard it the first time when we were entering the church and I cried and cried because this was my desire, coming home to my Love, may we never ever be separated from Him ever again. I love how we pray not just for ourselves and but for the whole world. Our pastor gave a beautiful homily on why our dear Jesus had to die on the Cross. Here's the link to our Good Friday liturgy. Tonight, we watch The Passion of the Christ by Mel Gibson.

5 comments:

Mirka Breen said...

I remember well witnessing the march of pilgrims along the Via Delarosa in Jerusalem on Good Friday. I heard that last year it didn't happen, at least not in the way of the previous years, because of restrictions. It did take place today as Israel has opened up.

Vijaya said...

I remember too, reading how so many places of pilgrimage were closed last year, including Lourdes and Fatima and the Via Dolorosa. I'm so glad to know that Israel has opened up. A joyous Passover to you and yours, Mirka.

Faith said...

I was able to sing the Victoria reproaches this Good Friday with my husband and his siblings for our Good Friday liturgy... so grateful, as that beautiful music speaks so profoundly to my heart!

Vijaya said...

You must send me a link so that I can listen to you. It truly is Heart to heart.

devin12 said...

Hi, I have read your blog and found it really awesome. Thanks for sharing such an interesting article with us. Keep Sharing check this. why we celebrate good friday