Monday, August 21, 2023

Young Love

Our minds have been on our marriage, so I was delighted to discover this young man's intentions towards our daughter. Michael, being a typical dad, is still wondering how these kids got to this stage so quickly (they've been dating a year). It was a whirlwind weekend for Ian. He was finishing up an internship in Ohio. Dagny flew to see him and drive back with him. Here they are at Cumberland Falls in KY. We met with Ian privately on Sat. and he proposed to Dagny that evening. It will necessarily be a longish engagement because Ian is still in school (leaving today), but I've not met a more mature young man, who knows whom he wants to spend the rest of his life with and isn't afraid to make a commitment. Dagny, too. They don't have to "play the field" or get their hearts broken. It is so lovely to imagine our children entering into marriage with time to grow in virtue as they prepare themselves for this most beautiful of Sacraments.

I also love that they have a faithful community of Catholic friends who will support them as well as our wider Church family. Our families have known each other for over a decade. Ian is literally the boy next door. Of course, when they were children, they ran around in their own friend groups--Ian with all the boys in the church. At one point there were something like 15 boys at the Altar, serving. There were far fewer girls so they were a tight little group. But all our children are growing up and I'm especially grateful that for many, this is home, this is where they want to be, and where they want to raise a family.

Mass was especially beautiful with a medieval motet for Holy Communion: Maria Matrem. Deo gratias! 

10 comments:

Suman Khisty said...

This is so beautiful especially because they are doing this the old fashioned way, the way that was the norm 50+ years ago. I am seeing more and more young Catholics living their faith and doing it the right way. Oh, I'm so happy. Dagny and Ian are glowing. You have raised your kids so well. They make me proud and you, you are the most precious sister I could have. God has been so good to us. So good. His love has no limits and He is so gracious with all that He does in our lives. May God continue to bless Dagny and Ian as they prepare themselves for the wedding and beyond. Love you sweet sister. <3

Mirka Breen said...

Young love is infectious in spreading joy. Dagney is marrying the boy next door... so beautiful.

Vijaya said...

Thank you for sharing my joy, Mirka and Baby. Baby, I'm seeing many young Catholics have the proper understanding of marriage. Of course, they will also go through marriage preparation with the priest--and we are indeed blessed beyond measure. I love that they want a big family--Ian is one of five and Dagny wants it too, knowing that the best gift for a child is a sibling. I'm so grateful for you and Manu and Arun too, because I know he's in heaven. And you are the best big sister ever! Love you.

Mirka, I love that when the boy grows up, the girl sees him in a different light. Ian is Dagny's first love so it's all the more joyful.

Ian's Mom said...

I have not doubt Ian will provide for Dagny and protect her. I love that they have a community of support. When I was homeschooling my five children, we had a motto, "Heaven not Harvard." All I want is heaven for my children and I have no doubt Ian and Dagny will encourage each other to heaven. How beautiful is that?

Ian's Mom said...

PS- Ian's birthday is August 28. The feast of St. Augustine- one of my favorite saints. I think that's why he is such a strong young man spiritually, academically, and emotionally.

Vijaya said...

"Heaven not Harvard!" Love that, Therese. So true; 'tis the most important thing. And the greatest tragedy if we don't attain heaven. For what would it profit a man to gain the world but lose his soul, no? It's why we had to send our kiddos to Ave Maria (being converts, we're just teenage Christians). And Mama Mary really took them under her mantle. St. Augustine, one of my favorites too! (We almost named Dagny August :). She said they might read his Confessions together! Such a gift! The next couple of years will fly, even if they might feel interminably slow for the kids, but I love that they will make a complete gift of themselves to each other. Ian is already caring beautifully for her, the proposal, a testament. Thank you for raising him so well. Love and blessings.

Carol Soisson said...

Congratulations to all of you! With Christ at the center all is well.

Vonna said...

What beautiful news! I am so happy for Dagny! Congratulations on having this fine young man join your family. (And to him for joining your fine family!)

Vijaya said...

Thank you, Carol and Vonna. Truly, it's a joining of two families!!! With Jesus at the center. I love that. I often gift Three to Get Married by Ap. Fulton Sheen to young couples.

Barbara Etlin said...

I'm only noticing this blog post today. (August was kind of frantic for me.) Anyway, big congrats to Dagny and Ian!