Monday, February 2, 2009

New Books

I've had the pleasure of reading these new books that are coming out this month. Thank you Fiona and Jenny for the opportunity.

I cannot top the review that Kirkus gave, but all I can say is that Bubble Homes and Fish Farts is an amazing romp through the world of bubbles, how various animals use them. The writing is classic Fiona, and I should know because I kept running into her articles all over the place -- in Odyssey, YES, Highlights, and pretty soon, if I saw the name Fiona Bayrock, I knew I was in for a treat. Bubble Homes and Fish Farts is no differet. The writing is always lively and the beautiful pictures Carolyn Conahan has painted bring all the critters and their bubbles to life.

*


Winnie's War is a historical novel set in Texas during the Spanish Flu (1918). The spunky heroine, Winnie, at first seems quite typical, chafing over the instructions her grandmother gives, but very soon, we learn her fierce love for her sisters, her friends, her father and where it leads her. It's a story with depth and layers.
Some tidbits that I especially enjoyed:
A most unusual first kiss.
Stealing Vicks VapoRub.
Love between older people.

*

Have I whetted your appetite yet? Get thee to a bookstore this month and look for these beautifully made books. And there are so many more!
*

2 comments:

Fiona Bayrock said...

Thank you for your kind words, Vijaya. I had a ton of fun writing this book. I'm glad you enjoyed it!

Vijaya said...

You're welcome, Fiona. And thank YOU for writing such a wonderful book.