Monday, August 17, 2009

Looking for Jesus

From Warner Press' website: Inspired by religious instructors who spoke of Jesus as a rugged and strong man, this Sallman painting depicts the Master as a man of strength, compassion, love and faith. This beloved depiction of Christ is by far Sallman's most popular work and the cornerstone of his ministry as a Christian artist.
*
My mother had this print when we were growing up. My sister has it now. And I have been looking for this portrait in the local Christian bookstores but they do not carry it. I tried Amazon. No luck. So thankful to the Blueboarders for directing me to a place where I can buy this.
*
I have to believe that this painting was divinely inspired because I look at it and feel instantly enveloped in His grace and mercy. No other portrait has had this effect on me. I want for my children to have this face to turn to in our home.
*
I find that religious objects help us stay close to God throughout the day. I like having a rosary in my pocket. I like to finger the cross and the beads. And likewise, pictures help. As does music. My favorite hymns come unbidden to me. We have small holy corners throughout the house and letting my eyes fall upon them, lighting a candle, touching the frankinscence or myrrh is a little like a kiss from heaven.
*

No comments: