Friday, May 13, 2016

Movies, Music and a Friday the 13th to Celebrate

I rarely watch YouTube videos except when I need to practice some music but for some reason I came across this very interesting interview with Jim Caviezel, the actor who played Jesus in Mel Gibson's Passion of the Christ. I had no idea that the man nearly died making this movie. He was accidentally scourged, his shoulder was dislocated, he had pneumonia and couldn't breathe (he was literally partaking in some of Jesus's suffering) and at the end, lightning struck him! It's almost satanic. Praise God that he's still alive. He had to have heart surgery the next day. It gave me shivers to listen to him speak. He really, really went into character by praying and fasting. Anyway, if you have 40 minutes to spare ... 

Is this month flying or what? Holy smokes!!! Pentecost is this Sunday. Come Holy Spirit!!! I remember singing my first Mozart Mass KV140 (in the context of a Mass, not a concert) four years ago for Pentecost. Dagny learned it as well. Michael too. Now we're preparing our third Mozart Mass KV317 for Trinity Sunday (that's next Sunday). And my heart cannot contain the joy ... all this music, the art, the architecture ... BEAUTY. Everything lifts my soul heavenward.





Today is Friday the 13th and I think the 100th anniversary of the heavenly visitors to three children at Fatima: Lucia, Francisco and Jacinta. An angel appeared to them and told them not to be frightened but to pray like this: My God, I believe, I adore, I hope, and I love You. I ask pardon for those who do not believe, do not adore, do not hope, and do not love You. It was such a powerful experience, the three children never forgot and prayed faithfully. The following year, Mary appeared to the children for six consecutive months, always on the 13th, with the last comprising a miracle that 70,000 people witnessed. The message is simple: do your daily duty, pray the rosary, do Eucharistic reparation, consecrate yourself to the Immaculate Heart.

Here are some links for more information and to appease curiosity regarding the secrets: I begin with Wikipedia (out of habit), then Fatima, and finally from the Vatican (these documents are lengthy, but what a pleasure to see the beautiful handwriting of Sr. Lucia! Goosebumps.)

Oh Mary, pray for us, those who have recourse to thee.


No comments: