Wednesday, November 28, 2018

Chronic Migraines and Healing: Part I -- Back in Control

As many of you know, I've spent a good decade of my life wracked with migraines. I've been to family doctors, neurologists, chiropractors, acupuncturists, but I've not had long-term relief. I still remember being pain-free for 17 days in a row and how exciting that was, like getting a new lease on life. Over the years, I've learned a lot about pain physiology, but until now, I never connected all the dots--our bodies, minds, and souls are inextricably linked while we are alive--and what happens in one realm affects the other.

When I was coming home from the Carolinas SCBWI conference, I rode home with Rebecca Ivester, and she mentioned a book, Back in Control, written by Dr. David Hanscom, a spine doctor. It took a while to get a copy from the library but well worth the wait. From the beginning, his sound advice resonated. This doctor almost put himself out of business. He still performs surgeries for patients who truly need it but for those suffering from chronic pain, he has other tools. You can start right away by visiting his website: http://www.backincontrol.com/ 


First, understand that pain is a good thing--it protects us from damaging our bodies. You're probably not aware that you're shifting continuously as you sit in your chair to prevent one spot from getting too sore. Pain is a survival mechanism. But chronic pain is a mechanism that's gone awry. In the beginning, the injury that causes pain is helpful in healing. But after some time, when the injury itself is healed, the pain signal can still be generated...in the brain. The pathway is cemented. Think of amputees who experience pain in a limb that's no longer there. Chronic pain, then, is an overreaction to sensory stimuli in the brain and it only gets worse with time. It's caused by both physical and emotional factors and the best way is to treat all underlying causes simultaneously.

Emotions First:


Here's a progression of negative emotions. We go from being alert > nervous > anxious > afraid > paranoid > terrorized. And as the good doctor learned in medical school: neurons that fire together, wire together. In my case, I've gotten increasingly anxious about getting a migraine that I avoid even pleasant things such as movies, concerts, and vacations. It's easier to stay at home in an environment I can control. Loud noises, flashing lights, hormonal changes, a drop in barometric pressure, all trigger a migraine. 


So what to do? Unlearn the pain. When Dr. Hanscom sees patients, the first prescription he gives is writing. He calls it expressive writing. I call it free writing, but it's one and the same. It's a place to literally write away the pain. I can attest to the power of free-writing, especially the Morning Pages that Julia Cameron preaches. I simply feel better, am more focused, and productive when I write. Even my family knows that after three days of not writing, I can turn into a terrible crab. Better to take 15-20 minutes each day to write instead. Hanscom recommends two sessions each day. The second prescription is meditation. And this is not about emptying the mind but being mindful, paying attention--feeling the breeze upon your face, a cat's soft fur, the rumbling purr, the taste of food. Really being present. The third prescription is getting good sleep because it's enormously healing. So you see, you can begin right away! And aren't they the BEST prescriptions ever?


The second stage is forgiving others who've wronged you,  forgiving yourself for the wrongs you've perpetrated, asking for forgiveness, and really letting go of the bitterness in your life. 


Another prescription is to spend more time playing and practicing what you enjoy. Just as pain is learned (rapid fire by the brain), so are skills like playing a sport or instrument, albeit at a much slower pace. So strengthen those *play* pathways. For me, this means spending some time every day playing the piano, really focusing on learning the songs, and singing. And I am so pleased to see this strategy working. I've been able to reduce the pounding in my head by singing a Byrd Mass. Perhaps because I'm praying simultaneously. Lol. In any case, I'm writing and playing more. Also practicing coloring and calligraphy. See these pretty psalm cards? I mail these out as well.   


Dr. Hanscom encourages you to move forward and create a vision for your life. Address family issues. Get organized. Keep up with the daily practice. Connect with the life you want--step into it with or without your pain. Expand your consciousness. Embark on your inward journey. Go on a spiritual journey. Finally, give back.

He cautions against positive thinking that isn't true (because it masks reality) or mind over matter mentality. You cannot be free of pain by sheer determination. Don't I know this! I have to remember that I didn't become chronically ill in a day (the migraines started five years prior and were sporadic before they became chronic), and neither will I be free from them in just a day. Unfortunately, the pain pathways are permanent, so they can be triggered. He says, "You will fail." So learn to fail well. Keep up with the daily practices and trust that your brain is changing. 

I loved what he said toward the end: Be CREATIVE, not REACTIVE (they're anagrams). We creatives have all the necessary tools to bring emotional and mental healing to our bodies through our art. Next time, I'll discuss physical aspects because no amount of writing will rectify a magnesium deficiency or food allergy. And let's not forget the advice from the Angelic Doctor. Part II, An Integrative Approach next.

6 comments:

Mirka Breen said...

It breaks my heart that you have so much physical pain. You carry this burden with profound grace.

Vijaya said...

Mirka, thank you. What strikes me is that writing saved my life even before I knew it. I cannot even imagine how much more disabled I would've become without it. God is so good!

Faith E. Hough said...

This is sound advice, and just what I need now... Little by little my migraines, back pain, and anxiety have all been getting worse--I know they're all connected. Have you read the book The Mindful Catholic? I've just started it...it seems very interesting! Mindfulness, other than what I already do during prayer, is a new concept to me.
Those psalm cards are gorgeous! Thank you for always sharing your creativity with your writing and so much other good work! Every post you write is a little blessing. :)

Vijaya said...

Oh Faith, if you're also struggling with chronic issues, these daily exercises will be so helpful. I know with six children to care for, it can be hard to find the time for yourself but we're not talking pretty sentences. If something negative is on your mind, write it and toss it in the fireplace! There is definitely something cathartic about throwing away those pages.

Mindfulness can get murky. I've read the Mindful Catholic and I found it too close to the Eastern practices that are all based on Hinduism, which has nothingness as its core. Dr. Bottaro distinguishes it from what he's discussing, which is about being mind-full. But the easier way is to just be attentive--to the breath, to the sound of the children playing, the texture of things, kisses.

I've been wanting to share this book from the moment I finished it because his techniques are working for me. I'm so thankful to God for arranging my ride! A blessing! So are you!

Joyce Moyer Hostetter said...

Wow, Vijaya - this is so helpful. I am ordering this book. Thanks for sharing your journey and all you've learned. I had no idea about your journey with migraines. I used to have them before menopause. I am so grateful I don't have them anymore. But I want to read this book and share it with others.

Vijaya said...

Joyce, I'm so glad you will share Hanscom's insights with others. I thought my migraines would disappear with menopause too, but they didn't, so I am grateful for this book as well.