Sunday, November 25, 2018

I Apologize...

Why is it that dogs often look contrite but cats never?
...for the numerous typos in Bound. How did they sneak past me, even when it's been copyedited? That's because, my friends, I can't ever seem to leave a manuscript alone, tweaking this, fixing that. And that's how it happened. My fault, not my copyeditor's. I've been fixing them as Michael and my sister and a couple other friends discovered them, and it appears I can't seem to learn my lesson because I tried editing in the Kindle software and introduced even more mistakes. For example, I thought psychologists might be offended by my use of the term "shrink" so I replaced it in a hurry, misspelling it. Gah!  

This kind of carelessness is what gives self-publishing a bad name. Shoddy work. Upload. But lesson learned.

To the reviewers who rejected my book for the Catholic Writers Guild Seal of Approval, thank YOU, not only for mentioning the reason, but marking every typo you found. This is above and beyond the call of duty. Thank you for making it easier for me to find my typos.

I am thankful to all of you who are still willing to read anything I write. I've spent this Thanksgiving copyediting. Eating humble pie now...not a pumpkin or apple or pecan in sight. The one good thing about self-publishing is that I can fix my mistakes. Onwards!

But in good news, my interview with Daniel Island Life was published. It turned out beautifully! And the reaction from readers has been lovely, not a single word about my typos.

 

4 comments:

Mirka Breen said...

I knew you were a Catholic of the true variety, and now I have proof: your confession and deep remorse. :)
Honestly, there are no books free of typos. I'll be honest and admit I stumbled upon two when I read your very good book. No biggy.
A few years back, when DD had a hobby of spotting typos in published books, she pointed out eleven in the first edition of a MG published by the largest of the big six. (Now big five.) I don't say this to make you feel better, just to make a point. Only G-d is perfect, and it would be arrogant to think we can be.

Vijaya said...

Mirka, thank you. Yes, I'm showing my prideful nature. But it's good to fix as many typos as possible. I want the reader to have the best possible experience. And it's done! And uploaded! Whew!!!

Faith E. Hough said...

I think I only noticed two as well--but I suppose it was because I was so eagerly turning pages! I've seen FAR more in traditionally published books.
Sometimes typing errors can really lessen my enjoyment of a book, but I think you did due diligence and are still working to improve future versions. Mark of a pro. :)

Vijaya said...

Thank you, Faith. So glad that you got caught up in the story itself. I really do want for the pages to simply disappear.