Friday, March 19, 2021

Litany of St. Joseph and Litany of Humility

I've been reciting the Litany of St. Joseph since last year when I consecrated myself to Jesus through him, placing myself under his protection. Truly, I am thankful for his fatherhood given how much I have longed for my own father in the wake of our fractured family life. It is only after our conversion that I have had  consolation in having spiritual fathers--St. Patrick, St. Alphonsus, St. Padre Pio--but St. Joseph is the perfect father. One of my favorite titles of St. Joseph is "Terror of demons" and the reason for it is St. Joseph's humility, so I often pair his litany with the Litany of Humility, which I still find very difficult to recite regularly but somehow God gives me the grace to do so. And He continues to transform me. So today on St. Joseph's Feast Day, I post both litanies. Happy Feast Day! Deo gratias!   

Lord, have mercy on us. 
Christ, have mercy on us.
Lord, have mercy on us. Christ, hear us.
Christ, graciously hear us.

God the Father of Heaven, have mercy on us.
God the Son, Redeemer of the world, have mercy on us.
God the Holy Ghost, have mercy on us.
Holy Trinity, One God, have mercy on us.

Holy Mary, pray for us.
St. Joseph, pray for us.
Illustrious son of David, pray for us.
Light of patriarchs, pray for us.
Spouse of the Mother of God, pray for us.
Chaste guardian of the Virgin, pray for us.
Foster father of the Son of God, pray for us.
Watchful defender of Christ, pray for us.
Head of the Holy Family, pray for us.

Joseph most just, pray for us. 
Joseph most chaste, pray for us.
Joseph most prudent, pray for us.
Joseph most valiant, pray for us.
Joseph most obedient, pray for us.
Joseph most faithful, pray for us.

Mirror of patience, pray for us.
Lover of poverty, pray for us.
Model of workmen, pray for us.
Glory of home life, pray for us.
Guardian of virgins, pray for us.
Pillar of families, pray for us.
Solace of the afflicted, pray for us.
Hope of the sick, pray for us.
Patron of the dying, pray for us.
Terror of demons, pray for us.
Protector of Holy Church, pray for us.

Lamb of God, Who takes away the sins of the world, Spare us, O Lord!

Lamb of God, Who takes away the sins of the world, Graciously hear us, O Lord!

Lamb of God, Who takes away the sins of the world, Have mercy on us!

V. He made him the lord of His household, R. And prince over all His possessions.

Let Us Pray
O God, Who in Thine ineffable Providence didst vouchsafe to choose Blessed Joseph to be the spouse of Thy most holy Mother, grant, we beseech Thee, that he whom we venerate as our protector on earth may be our intercessor in Heaven. Who lives and reigns forever and ever. Amen.

Some wonderful books for you to learn more about St. Joseph in this year dedicated to him, the first in the Church's 2,000-year history. I've copied the lace cards from: Holy Card Heaven


O Jesus meek and humble of heart, Hear me.
From the desire of being esteemed, Deliver me, Jesus.
From the desire of being loved, Deliver me, Jesus.
From the desire of being extolled, Deliver me, Jesus.
From the desire of being honored, Deliver me, Jesus.
From the desire of being praised, Deliver me, Jesus.
From the desire of being preferred to others, Deliver me, Jesus.
From the desire of being consulted, Deliver me, Jesus.
From the desire of being approved, Deliver me, Jesus.
From the fear of being humiliated, Deliver me, Jesus.
From the fear of being despised, Deliver me, Jesus.
From the fear of suffering rebukes, Deliver me, Jesus.
From the fear of being calumniated, Deliver me, Jesus.
From the fear of being forgotten, Deliver me, Jesus.
From the fear of being ridiculed, Deliver me, Jesus.
From the fear of being wrongedDeliver me, Jesus.
From the fear of being suspectedDeliver me, Jesus.
That others may be loved more than I,
   Jesus, grant me the grace to desire it.
That others may be esteemed more than I,
   Jesus, grant me the grace to desire it.
That in the opinion of the world, others may increase, and I may decrease,
   Jesus, grant me the grace to desire it.
That others may be chosen and I set aside,
   Jesus, grant me the grace to desire it.
That others may be praised and I unnoticed,
   Jesus, grant me the grace to desire it.
That others may be preferred to me in everything,
   Jesus, grant me the grace to desire it.
That others may become holier than I, provided that I become as holy as I should,
   Jesus, grant me the grace to desire it.
AMEN

2 comments:

Mirka Breen said...

Prayers always needed

Vijaya said...

I cannot imagine a life without turning towards Him Who sustains every breath I take. Prayer is essential. St. Alphonsus argued on both its necessity and power: https://www.ourladyswarriors.org/prayer/mustpray.htm