Friday, April 7, 2023

O Agony and Dying

Our Savior, Jesus Christ. This is Sacrifice: This is MY Body, given up for you. 
But He was pierced for our sins, crushed for our iniquity. He bore the punishment that makes us whole, by His wounds we are healed.
We adore You O Christ and praise You! Because by Your Holy Cross You have redeemed the world.
Crucifixion by Matthias Grunewald


This poem is attributed to St. Bernard of Clairvaux. There are several different renditions of it and they all make me weep with sorrow and gratitude. "O Agony and Dying! O Love to sinners free! Jesus all grace supplying, O turn Thy Face on me!" Some years ago, a choir member gifted me His Sacred Head crowned with thorns. I keep it near me, grateful to have a small share in His Passion.
 

1 O sacred Head, now wounded,
with grief and shame weighed down,
now scornfully surrounded
with thorns, thine only crown!
O sacred Head, what glory,
what bliss till now was thine!
Yet, though despised and gory,
I joy to call thee mine.

2 What thou, my Lord, hast suffered
was all for sinners’ gain.
Mine, mine was the transgression,
but thine the deadly pain.
Lo, here I fall, my Savior!
’Tis I deserve thy place.
Look on me with thy favor,
and grant to me thy grace.

3 What language shall I borrow
to thank thee, dearest Friend,
for this, thy dying sorrow,
thy pity without end?
Oh, make me thine forever,
and should I fainting be,
Lord, let me never, never
outlive my love to thee.

4 Be near when I am dying,
oh, show thy cross to me,
and for my rescue, flying,
come, Lord, and set me free!
These eyes, new faith receiving,
from Jesus shall not move,
for one who dies believing
dies safely, through thy love.


2 comments:

Carol Soisson said...

Jesus, remember me when you come into your kingdom.

Vijaya said...

Carol, I bawled the first time I heard this Taize chant at our first Good Friday in RCIA, preparing to receive the Sacraments. I truly felt like the good thief, stealing heaven. I still do and yesterday had the privilege of starting this chant.