Friday, March 15, 2024

Poetry

A friend sent me this poem by William Wordsworth because she knows how much I love cats and kittens and the way they play. And what a delight to be immersed in such a beautiful poem. It sings! I feel we've lost that in many contemporary poems. I picked up a recent book of cat poems because it was displayed at the library and I'm irresistibly drawn to anything with a cat. I read all the poems--they were funny, a couple were crass--but they didn't move me. The pictures did, however. So I wonder if we are becoming too visual to the detriment of developing our ear for beautiful prose and poetry. What do you think?
 

4 comments:

Mirka Breen said...

An old friend shared some of the poems from this volume with me twenty years ago. He was an English professor of poetry, and also allergic to cats. He concluded cats were a hint of the netherworld, so this was a witty and fancy sort of revenge on my great admiration of them.

Cats are immensely charismatic visually, and of course the art is beautiful.

Vijaya said...

I often find old books that are no longer carried in libraries :( I know new books need room but still, I wish we could have both. They do keep the Newbery/Caldecott winners. I know so many people who absolutely hate cats, and no allergies involved either. My parasitology prof kept a running log of diseases transmitted by cats and dogs and the cats won... but I was bitten by a dog two months ago, the week right before our barbershop Winter Workshop, and it still hurts. This was no hound of heaven.

Mirka Breen said...

So sorry you have the pain of a dog bite still. OY

Vijaya said...

Thank you. Their teeth are designed to tear the muscle...