Tuesday, September 15, 2015

Seven Sorrows of Mary

The rosary is my favorite meditation. It is like looking at Mary's photo album of the life of Jesus. But there are other meditations as well -- Divine Mercy being a huge one, especially for those who are dying.

Today the Feast of our Sorrowful Mother. As you might guess, there is a chaplet to meditate upon Mary's seven sorrows:  

The Prophecy of Simeon. (Luke 2:34–35) or the Circumcision of Christ
  1. The Flight into Egypt. (Matthew 2:13)
  2. The loss of the child Jesus in the Temple. (Luke 2:43–45)
  3. Mary meets Jesus on the way to Calvary.
  4. Jesus dies on the cross. (John 19:25)
  5. The piercing of the side of Jesus, and Mary's receiving the body of Jesus in her arms. (Matthew 27:57–59)
  6. The body of Jesus is placed in the tomb. (John 19:40–42)



But in the end, Our Lady of Sorrows is the Cause of our Joy. With her Fiat, she brought Jesus to us ... and as He hung upon the Cross, dying, He gave her to us from the Cross. She prays for us constantly. Truly, it was her pierced heart that melted mine. In Rome, when I was a young bride without children of my own, and unbelieving, I fell to my knees at this Pieta. This is the power of her sorrow and of great art.

After I discovered the seven sorrows of Mary, I naturally wanted to know whether Joseph too had sorrows that are commemorated. Indeed he does, and his every sorrow is turned into joy. Here are the meditations. I've copied them from the Via Rosa website.


St. Joseph Rosaries and Chaplets
Seven Sorrows
Seven Joys
The doubt of St. Joseph. (Matt. 1:19) 1 The message of the Angel. (Matt. 1:20)
The poverty of Jesus' birth. (Luke 2:7) 2 The birth of the Savior. (Luke 2:10-11)
The Circumcision. (Luke 2:21) 3 The Holy Name of Jesus. (Matt. 1:25)
The prophecy of Simeon. (Luke 2:34) 4 The effects of the Redemption. (Luke 2:38)
The flight into Egypt. (Matt. 2:14) 5 The overthrow of the idols of Egypt. (Is. 19:1)
The return from Egypt. (Matt. 2:22) 6 Life with Jesus and Mary at Nazareth. (Luke 2:39)
The loss of the Child Jesus. (Luke 2:45) 7 The finding of the Child Jesus in the Temple. (Luke 2:46)


2 comments:

Mirka Breen said...

A Catholic friend I had lunch with Monday told me she was reflecting on the sorrow and dignity of Mary, especially as she herself going through some worries about her growing and rebellious kids. Your post came at the right time... I'm forwarding.

Vijaya said...

I often did not feel anything in common with Mary because she was the perfect mother of a PERFECT child! But I turn to her always dealing with the challenges of motherhood. I entrust the children to her motherly care and protection. I hope your friend will find comfort in our sorrowful mother.