Saturday, August 20, 2016

Today's Moment of Truth

Lee Strobel is one of my favorite authors (he's written many books on apologetics -- Case of Christ, Case for Faith, etc.) so when I saw TODAY'S MOMENT OF TRUTH, a devotional with a apologetic bent, I had to request a review copy. Strobel and Mittelberg ask questions that most non-believers ask: Where did the universe come from? Who designed the designer? How can you know Jesus is God? Was the tomb really empty? How can you believe in a Trinitarian God? If God is good and great, why is there evil in this world? And so many more.

They make a case succinctly, in just 2 pages for each question. They quote Scripture, reflect upon it using historical, scientific or Biblical facts, and end with a "Truth for Today." Their goal is not just to help those who are questioning Christianity to have some answers but for those of us who believe to increase our faith, which in turn gives us the armor to defend it.

A random example: Too Narrow?

Enter through the narrow gate. For the wide is the gate and broad is the road that leads to destruction, and many enter through it. But small is the gate and narrow the road that leads to life, and only a few find it. Matt 7:13-14 

How can Jesus claim he's the only way to God? Mittelberg gives the example of landing a plane -- you really can land a plane anywhere, unless you prefer to stay alive. The narrow path in this case is the runway. "Similarly, there are many religious teachers, prophets and gurus. But only one came with the credentials to show he was the Son of God. Only One came to lay down his life as a ransom for his friends. Only One paid the penalty for our sins by dying in our place. Only One proved it all to be true by rising from the dead."

Truth for Today: "Sometimes truth is narrow. Are you willing to follow the One who said he alone was the way, the truth, the life?"

There are 180 devotions. I have not read them all, but I'm making my way through them and they are a delight to read and ponder. I am growing in my faith, which is what I always pray for. I highly recommend this book. It is beautifully designed with a ribbon to mark your place. My only quibble is that it doesn't have a topical index.

Thanks to BookLook for providing me with a review copy. I have posted this on Amazon as well.

And because I really like this video on having reasonable faith given that our universal constants are so finely tuned to promote life, I share it with you. Enjoy!

No comments: