Saturday, February 2, 2019

Reading and Writing




Yesterday, I put away Christmas amidst a shower of needles. I read so many wonderful books over the holidays. These were my favorites. 

The Weight of a Mass by by Josephine Nobisso and Katalin Szegedi is a richly imagined original fairytale, beautifully written and illustrated, showing that nothing compares to the value of a single Catholic Mass. Perfect for children making their first Holy Communion, for all who are in RCIA. Folks, this is why I send out Mass cards. It is really and truly the best gift I can offer.


https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0999781715/ref=as_li_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=9325&creativeASIN=0999781715&linkCode=as2&tag=vijayabodach2-20&linkId=c8908b25a7e067799e636810fb64408bHeyward the Horse by Andrew Barton is a love-poem to Charleston. If you can’t bring your kids to the Holy City, let Heyward lead you on a tour. The rhymes are perfect, the illustrations adorable, for little Charlestonians and visitors alike. Psst…there’s another book in the works and I’m privileged to have had a sneak peek. This is why it’s so great to have a critique group. 


I really enjoyed reading One Thing by Gary Keller and Jay Papasan and have begun to implement time blocking for the most important thing. I appreciated the many wonderful quotes, the anecdotes, and clear explanations of the lies we believe. Most of us juggle wearing many hats and this book really helped me to understand how excellence happens at the extremes, and how one can learn to counterbalance. So go ahead and "choose what matters the most and give it all the time it demands." If there's one self-help book you read this year, I recommend this! You will see results. Because I read this on my kindle, I couldn't mark up the best bits like I usually do, I took notes. If anybody would like them, shoot me an email.

Lilli de Jong by Janet Benton is a beautifully written book showing the bond between a mother and her child. A testament that they should never be separated. I loved the happy ending!


In The Chicken Who Saved Us by Kristin Jarvis Adams, the author has documented a harrowing medical mystery, one that is ultimately uplifting. However, it is primarily a mother's emotional and spiritual journey, the title a mite misleading, even though the book is beautifully written. I wanted more of Andrew and Frightful. I hope Kristin writes a picture book about the deep connection they had. Well done! 


When I was reading, I kept thinking how “together” Kristin was. Our children carpooled to Eastside Catholic one year and I had no idea the difficulties of managing Andrew’s illness. Kristin never complained. It makes me ashamed to remember how much I whined about my migraines. She was a sympathetic sufferer and gave good tips on pain management. Her daughter, Hannah was lovely—a gentle and artistic soul. I will always be grateful for the year we shared.  


Writing Into the Dark by Dean Wesley Smith: I loved this book so much. It reminded me how I used to write when I first began, when I didn't know many rules, but my stories had tremendous heart. However, after more than a decade of selling work from outlines, I've practically forgotten what it's like to write into the dark. It's both exciting and frightening. I've wanted to know everything before I start. Dean Wesley Smith has outlined a method wherein I learn to embrace the uncertainty and trust the process. Thank YOU, Dean! If there's one writing book you buy this year--make it Writing Into the Dark.


https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1684331951/ref=as_li_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=9325&creativeASIN=1684331951&linkCode=as2&tag=vijayabodach2-20&linkId=b4bc2fea5bcc145120248a200e333a72Name Unspoken by Cadence McManimon is a medieval romance bringing the time to life with well-drawn characters and a plot that kept me turning the pages. My only complaint is that the narrator intrusions were annoying, but still by the end of the book, I'd grown rather fond of him. I was really impressed with the cover and interior design. Thanks to the publisher for sending me an ARC and stay tuned for a conversation with Cadence.

5 comments:

Mirka Breen said...

For some reason the title, THE CHICKEN WHO SAVED US, made me think of the saying that "dog bites man" is not a newsworthy story whereas MAN BITES DOG is...
You are getting a lot more reading done than I do, so brava.

Vijaya said...

Lol Mirka. I keep thinking the Kitchen who Saved Us, and coincidentally, Andrew loves to cook so the kitchen *will* definitely save him!

I'm such a glutton for books! But I need to write more (Into the Dark), read less.

janlcoates said...

Interesting and varied collection! I'll look for WRITING INTO THE DARK. Thanks!

Vijaya said...

Thanks Jan. You'll love the Writing into the Dark! It's a slim gem.

Katie L. Carroll said...

It's always fun to see what others have been reading. :)