Thursday, February 7, 2019

The Cost of Evangelization: Graham Staines' Story

Photo copied from http://www.joyfulheart.com/new/staines-martyrdom.htm 
In recent times I've seen many news stories wherein works of art have been covered or taken down because they are considered offensive because people assume it's about imperialism or white savior mentality. So my objection to this practice might be odd, coming from an Indian, who should be despising the British. But I don't. I can't. And it is for one reason alone--Jesus Christ. 

I thank the missionaries beginning with the Apostle St. Thomas (we utter his words: "my Lord and my God" at every Mass). They brought the Good News of Jesus Christ. I don't know the details of why my ancestors converted to Christianity, but I know they faced many difficulties. They were from a priestly caste, so I can imagine the lashing they took from the devout Hindu community. We've had a priest in the family until my generation. And it is my mother who taught me the faith when I was a child. 

On Facebook, someone accused me of being arrogant about my faith. I confess that I have much to work on when it comes to humility, but know that I love my Catholic faith so much, I want everybody to have it. How can I stay silent when I possess the ONE thing of infinite value? Love is a powerful motivator. And so it is for the missionaries. 

Graham Staines was one such man and his story has been dramatized in a wonderful movie: The Least of These. Find out where it's playing and go see it. Staines and his wife Gladys cared for lepers in Orissa. They showed love to people who were rejected by their own families. They brought hope to a people who had lost hope. They brought Jesus, who bore all our infirmities and sins on the Cross. It is a powerful message. But many Hindu nationalists viewed this as conversion by inducement. Conversion by force is forbidden (as it should be) but how is one to judge conversions by acts of love? Graham and his two little boys were burned alive on the night of Jan. 22nd 1999--martyrs for the faith. His wife Gladys forgave the perpetrators and continued to care for the sick. How many of us could do something like that? 

And so, I ask the people who want to tear down statues of saints and cover up paintings depicting conversions, to let them remain. It is our history. God bless all the wonderful missionaries who spread the Gospel of Jesus Christ. It is never forced. It is a proposition. Won't you consider it? I will walk and pray with you. 

3 comments:

Mirka Breen said...

I'm not fond of covering up and tearing down historical commemorations, even where and when I am not proud of the history that is being revised. I actually think this is a dangerous process, and must never be done lightly or by hysterical mob. Add a different commemoration if needed, but remember how it was.

Vijaya said...

Exactly Mirka. It is indeed dangerous to wipe out history as if it never happened.

Faith E. Hough said...

It's so good to hear your perspective on issues like this, Vijaya! I've never heard of this story, so I'm looking forward to learning more.